Sunday 8 November 2015

Combining The Human And Butterfly

For my hybrid, I have decided to combine the butterfly onto the face of the human. However, I am not yet sure of how I want to do this; for example, the placement, size, which features of the butterfly I want to include, and which parts will be prosthetics. Therefore, I have gathered some images to try and demonstrate what I am currently thinking...



This was something I was considering, whereby some of the outlines of the butterfly would be made out of prosthetics to raise it from the skin, and the rest would be done with make-up. 
This is a very interesting idea, but I feel that it is not necessarily a hybrid - it is just a butterfly stuck on the face. Also, it would be quite difficult to do with the prosthetic piece because it would be very fiddly and too intricate to attach and paint.
A lot of the things I am looking at are extremely similar to face painting, but this is obviously not what I want to achieve. However, I could use something like this - the black parts would be the prosthetic pieces, and then the rest would be done with make-up, which would fade down the rest of the face. 
The thing I have take from this image, is that the scales and pattern of the butterfly would be would I use prosthetics for, so they would be raised from the skin. This way, there would not just be a butterfly outline on the face - I think this could potentially look quite authentic and be a good combination for the hybrid.


I really like these images! I like the way that just some of the wings are attached, but I would worry if I was attaching it to the eye area, because for example, it would stick to the eyelashes, and could be quite dangerous if it got into the eyes. Also, I want the pieces to be slightly bigger and cover slight more of the face.
I really like the positioning of this butterfly, but I feel that this would be quite hard to create and attach to the ear, and ideally, I want it to be on the face.
This is another idea I had, which is where I would create the outline of the butterfly using prosthetic pieces and then fill the actual pattern in using make-up. However, I am slightly worried that it would be too obvious - it is just a butterfly stuck on the face, therefore, is this a hybrid?

After researching these images, I have narrowed a few basic ideas down...

  • I raise the outlines of the butterfly using prosthetic pieces, and then colour the butterfly in using makeup - this is the idea I am least leaning towards because I think it is just too obvious, and is not necessarily a hybrid 
  • I create the scales and pattern of the butterfly using small intricate prosthetic pieces, and apply this all over the face - this idea I think would look very good and quite authentic, but it would be very difficult and time-consuming
  • I raise some areas of the face using prosthetic pieces, to give a rough indication of a butterfly shape, for example, the cheekbones and around the temples and nose, and then apply a butterfly pattern/scales to these areas only (either with make-up or prosthetics) - I think this could look quite effective, but I will need to start visualising it to see how it would turn out, to see if you could actually see the butterfly aspect within the hybrid
  • I am also thinking of creating tiny antennas from prosthetics to go in the centre of the forehead
I think my next step is to start sketching and drawing out some of my ideas, to see if/how they actually work when visualised. 

No comments:

Post a Comment