Saturday 7 November 2015

Existing Butterfly-Human Hybrids

Upon researching for existing hybrids, I found that there was not many that had been created. A lot of them just tended to be more 'dress up', whereby the person was the body of the butterfly, and they just had wings attached. This was not necessarily helpful to me, since I could not make butterfly wings of this size and scale.

However, I did find a few similar images that looked like someone had attempted to create human-butterfly hybrids, but again, the size of the wings was just too large and the clay would've been far too heavy.  I definitely would have struggled if I were to try and make butterfly wings of this size. 

Although this is quite impressive and I like how the wings and body have been incorporated into each other, it is not what I wanted to do, because I feel that it is just too obvious, and it is almost like a fancy-dress costume. 

This is definitely more like something I had in mind, but again it is just far too big, and would not work if it was made out of clay. This looks like it has been made out of something quite light and delicate, perhaps wire and fabric, or it has even been photoshopped - clay would definitely not give this effect or texture. However, I love how the wings have been incorporated and attached into the face, and how they go right to eyes, and shapes the rest of the face. I also love the tiny antennas that have been added in-between the wings. The design of the butterfly is quite a sharp and pointy shape, which is something that I am thinking of doing, and I also love the realism and detail they have used on the wings. 

These images (especially the last one) have been of great help to me because it has given me an idea of how much it is possible to incorporate the butterfly design into the human, and the actual shape of the butterfly in the final image is something that I feel that I could work with.  For example, quite sharp lines coming up from the bridge of the nose and round the forehead for the top wings. 

No comments:

Post a Comment