Thursday 12 November 2015

Creating My Moulds (take one!)

First of all, I sculpted my pieces out of clay - the butterfly body to go down the nose, the pieces for the cheekbones, and for the forehead. I only created one of each because this means I can cast 2 cheek/forehead pieces using the same mould.

I then went on to create the moulds (step-by-step instructions are in a previous post).

However, as I watched my moulds begin to set, I knew that something wasn't right... 

The top looked quite bumpy, and gloopy, and I knew this was not supposed to happen. At first I thought this may have been due to transporting it between uni and school, and it may have moved out of place slightly. Then as time went on, it had been over 2 hours and it was no where near set - this confirmed my initial thought that something had gone wrong. I left my moulds for about 2 days, and they were still not set, therefore I decided to take them out. They were still quite sticky and gloopy, and they had not hold the shape of my sculptures very well. I couldn't figure out what I had done wrong!


After days and days of deliberation I realised that I made one of the stupidest mistakes possible, but a vital one! I did not mix the 2 silicones together when pouring them into the cup - I was in such a rush to pour them on the sculptures because I didn't want them to set (and because I had to keep adding more of each to be enough to cover the whole piece) that I just totally forgot to mix them together. Therefore, the 2 silicones were not able to combine and thus set and create the mould.

I couldn't believe what a silly mistake I had made, but everything is a learning curve, and it has taught me a lesson - I know that I will NEVER forget to mix them together again!

No comments:

Post a Comment